Saturday, February 22, 2014

Just show up

I just finished my third 5K for this year.  I almost didn't make it.  I woke up late and I really wasn't feeling it.  I thought I'd go anyway and if I made it on time that would be fine and if I didn't, oh well.  I had a pretty blah attitude.  Then I pulled up to the location and the scenery was incredible.  I know there are many races around this lake area but I had never been to one until today.  The land hitting the edge of the water which reflected the sun was an unexpected and very pleasant surprise.

I figured I would just pace it out.  I figured I would enjoy the three miles around the lake.  And I did.  I didn't think about the other, faster, younger, taller, sleeker, people passing me.  I just kept it going.  I did what I've done before.  It was a double lap around so I ran my first turn and went back for the second.  Soon enough I was rounding the final stretch and crossing the finish line.  I didn't have any hopes or expectations but I waited as the scores where totaled and posted.  Why not?  The sun was coming out and the day was turning warmer and brighter.  And the numbers came up.  There was my name, there was my time, there I was - 2nd place in my category (the old one, 50-59 women's).

I wasn't going to go.  I woke up late.  I was feeling pretty blah.  I got myself there.  I saw the beautiful scenery.  I kept my own pace.  Then I placed.  It wouldn't have happened if I skipped the race.  Sometimes, it is just about showing up and letting everything else happen.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT