Sunday, January 11, 2015

Mishap on cookie site

Dante was texting me this past Friday afternoon asking questions about the cookie site. He was looking to find another host to force us to update and upgrade our current site. We needed to incorporate our new logo and make the site more current. In the midst of all the texting I told him there were other templates with our current host if he wanted to take a look, but I was okay with searching other companies to do this.

Long story short, he choose another template where we are currently published but instead of being able to work on it in non-production, it immediately killed our current site and made the template live! It had none of our information and after calls and on-line chats to straighten it out, the best they could do was give us a few months refund and an archive of the home page. One page - the site has four, one of them having all our pricing buttons (a real pain) and all my 'About Us' content that I wrote a kazzillion years ago. How was I to reproduce that?

This all happened Friday evening, but the next morning Dante had managed to clean up the home page and also the product page with all the pricing buttons. The site still had some odd spots (like the image of 'our helpful staff' with the picture of some guy with a coffee mug in front of a bunch of lumber). I asked Dante who was the guy drinking my coffee? He told me I needed to do some clean up, too. He couldn't replace the verbage but only used the stock info that was included on the template in some spots.

So I worked on it. I rewrote the 'About Us' and changed info here and there and it's looking more polished and current than the original. I still need to work on it but it only took a little (frantic) time to give it a nice little upgrade. Sometimes, it takes a mishap to straighten things out for the better.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT