Friday, January 9, 2015

Hello, My name is

I fell into my trap of reading another writing newsletter. Actually, I read several. I have more than a few more stashed away for later reading. I  am admitting this like someone with an addiction, or what little I know about organized support groups for over-doing anything. Hello, My name is Tessa, and I'm a read-aholic. My main shame recently is the writing information I am consistently reading. I felt the same way about my constant reading of books until someone pointed out to me it was a good thing. How much better was reading for hours instead of watching TV for hours? They clarified immediately that there really wasn't anything wrong with that either but just a choice on how to spend your free time. That is, as long as it didn't get in the way of something important.

There's the rub. That is where I feel like I keep falling into my own trap. I've gone beyond merely reading writing articles for information but I continually read writing articles to keep myself from actually writing. It's a heck of lot easier to read about doing something than actually doing it.

I heard a quote from a prolific author (on television-wow, the obsession crossed over) that said if you want to be a writer, you need to write. You can't talk about writing, or think about writing, but you need to put the words down and write. (Obviously, that's not a direct quote but I think I captured the message). I'm using reading to avoid writing. I know it and will need to do more than I have to beware of my own traps.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT