Friday, January 10, 2014

Getting it done

I got a little frantic yesterday when I realized how great the weather was going to be on Saturday.  It's when I realized we are already turning the corner to the middle of this month.  Almost half the month has dissipated!  I felt like I needed to move things along, speed up, hurry!  I began searching for a 5K.  I've had it in the back of my mind that I will run at least one race each month.  I only ran one race the entire of last year and I also didn't do well with my total mileage.  So I knew I wanted to change things up.

First thing I did was go back and join the gym.  As much as I was stubborn about the fact that I prefer to run outdoors, there were many, many days I wouldn't because of the weather.  I joined so I would have the opportunity to run at the gym when I wouldn't go outdoors.  It's worked so far.  I've managed to run 7 days out of 9 for this year.  They aren't big long distances but they are miles I wouldn't have logged otherwise.  It does make a difference.  I only ran outdoors once out of those seven runs.

After searching this race and that race, I realized I was going to pay premium for a last minute registration.  At that point I (of course, I did) checked the weather for the following Saturday.  Eughh...it was predicted to be colder!  Yuck, not sure if I could manage that.  Then I spotted some races for the last weekend in January.  Hmmm....this might be it.  I didn't allow myself to check the weather.  They can't predict that far ahead anyway and I knew I would over think it if I allowed myself that privilege.  So I settled on one and signed up.  Quickly.  So I wouldn't change my mind.  And then, while I was at it, I went and signed up for another in February.  There!  I'm in.  I have two races to look forward to.  I have two marks on the calendar where I need to prepare and show up.

It feels good to have something in the back of my mind and start taking steps to accomplish it.  It's nice to stop and realize, Oh!  Time is getting away from me so I need to get this in place. It's a good thing when I don't have the attitude that it's too late, it's too cold, it's too highly priced, but strive instead to find a way to get it done.

Sometimes it's very good to get a little frantic about something important.
TT  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT