Thursday, January 2, 2014

Breaking Rules

I have an entire fiction novel stored in my documents.  Granted, it is a first draft of over 70,000 words that are in dire need of (numerous) revisions, but just the same, I have a completed framework of writing.  It is something concrete.

I also have a 16,500 word novella completed.  This piece was supposed to be a short story of approximately 7500 words but by the time the story unfolded it ended up much longer.  I reasoned that I needed to write this shorter piece after I abandoned the thought of first revising the original full length novel.  My reasoning was to go through the entire process of writing a short story so I wouldn't spend as much time as it would take to write an entire novel.  I finished this novella but have yet to go back and revise it.

I then started another short story that is turning into a novella that I haven't finished.  It currently has 6500 words.  I reasoned I needed to write another entire story before going back to revise any of the writings I have previously completed.

At this point, I have to laugh or at least chuckle at myself for these outrageous rules I seem so good of coming up for myself.  My reasoning throughout all of my writing is preposterous.  I could very well ask, "Who comes up with these rules," but that would be ridiculous since I know it's me.  Yet, I seem to think these rules need to be followed as if I would be committing the ultimate sin if I didn't.

So now what?  Am I locked-in to finish my current novella before thinking of doing anything else?  That was the rule, I believe.  Yet, I am starting to hear that rebellious voice in my head, "But what if I don't.  What if I think about my today and moving forward and the best way to do that?"  Smirks all around.  "Yes, let's break the rules."

I am in a wonderful position to do it all.  If I want to keep creating new writing, I can work on the novella not finished.  If I get to a point my creativity is waning, I can go to revise my finished novella or even my novel.  I can bounce from one piece to another and make a new rule to keep writing somewhere, or revising, which will bring all my pieces closer to becoming a truly finished story.  I can actually bring myself to a higher level of discipline than I've managed already by being more likely to be consistent.  I didn't even mention the story I started writing without any idea of where the story might be going.  I could even go back when I'm feeling creatively organizational and come up with an actual outline for that story.

There are so many options, it's become exciting!  And here I've spent so much time and energy being so hung up on learning and following the rules of writing.  I should have known that when I did, I would only turn around and break them.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT