Tuesday, January 7, 2014

No Pain, Please

When I signed up for the gym during my time off from work during the holidays, I also signed up for some sessions with a personal trainer.  I thought it might be a quick way to incorporate some weight training into my preferred activity of running.  Everyone has always said there needs to be a balance.  You need to work on both weights and cardio in order to become stronger and improve stamina.  At the time, I listened with only one ear because somehow I was able to train and run a half marathon without any weight training and without a trainer.  I took various training plans I researched for free and worked out a plan that worked for me.  I completed the race.

But then, I realized I ran only half the miles last year of my previous year.   I decided my idea of running only outdoors wasn't working.  I needed days I could use the dreaded treadmill when the weather was awful (like today - I'm waking up to 20 degrees!!!!).  So this year when I joined I thought, what the heck and signed up with a trainer.  I'm sore.  Two sessions and my muscles are screaming.  First my arms felt like they would fall off and now my legs are almost immobile.  What the heck!  No pain, no gain?  What, what?  When I was finally able to run outdoors this past Saturday it was like a crawl.  My legs were so stiff I couldn't get any speed.

I know.  It takes time.  It will all pay off in the end.  But the end of what?  My life as I know it?  And now the trainer is pushing me to join a 12 week challenge which would mean a few more times to meet with the trainer and more pushing and gaining and, and, dare I say it, pain.  Ouch.  I told the trainer I didn't want to spend the money.  How's that for a way to misdirect?  The trainer told me they would see me on Friday for our session.

Yikes.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT