Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Working from home

We have had a few disruptions at work.  The powerful ice storm that hit us last Friday closed our campus for a portion of the morning due to bad road conditions.  It was further closed until noon that same day because there had been an electrical fire with an A/C unit on the roof of one of our modules.  That has turned into the more serious of problems since, although the fire was contained to the roof, the amount of residue, smoke, and lack of power had the associates directed to work from home.  I had already planned on doing that only based on the weather, so I was slightly ahead of the game.  Everyone expected things to come back to normal over the weekend.

I returned to my desk yesterday and although I work in the adjoining module to the one still without power, the smell permeated our area and associates were again instructed to go ahead and work from home.  I managed to hang in there the entire day but only because a hepa filter/fan was set up in the next aisle from where I sit.  Then this morning was another threat of freezing rain and another note about the damaged module.  Temporary locations are being set up for associates sitting in that 'power-downed' module.  It looks like it will be inoperable for 4-5 weeks.  Again, the request to work from home has been extended until next Monday.

I am at home now, with my company laptop open and working in the quiet of my upstairs office.  I might venture later this morning back to my desk at work but I might do that tomorrow.  As long as the smell doesn't settle in my throat the way it was beginning to do yesterday morning it will be fine.  It seems there will be a lot to take care of in the way of logistics for the misplaced associates that will need to be figured out. But for now, I'll do a little from home.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT