Thursday, April 16, 2009

Well timed reminder

I realized and was renewed on how much I like my job. I've been having a hard time with it lately with the economy today and lay-offs and stock market declines. The atmosphere at work has been poor with the reorganization and efficiency measures being implemented. I've tried separating myself from the woe-is-me's that seem to have surfaced here at work. There are too many people that think too hard about things they have no control over. I'm going with the attitude that I will work here until the day they tell me to go home. It will be at that time that I will think about what my next step will be, not before.

Then I was reminded of the reason I enjoy working here. I got that feeling of ultimate accomplishment when I'm able to go beyond what is normally expected yesterday morning. It's been hectic. My boss is director for the application software department of a mutual funds company. His boss (which I have worked with before) and her boss, the newly hired - top of the division man, were in our office. She came over to my area with the new division head to introduce him to me. She very casually but precisely gave him information about me that was very flattering about my professional capabilities. It was unexpected by me in the way she gave him information in that short introduction that reflected so well on me.

It was not too long after that when my own boss came over but had forgotten what it was he needed to tell me. When he admitted to his forgetfulness I asked if it was possibly about a certain meeting that had been communicated after hours but hadn't worked out. The thread of emailed conversations about this meeting was vague and there had not been much time elapsed since they had been sent much less read and communicated.
He looked at me and said, "You are good." That was it. And there it was. I swear I was a gypsy in another life to be able to read minds like that. I had taken a stab at the possiblity and it worked and I quietly grinned.

Or maybe it was just a well timed reminder of why I really enjoy my job.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT