Friday, April 20, 2012

Or what?

In the midst of juggling multiple duties at work I have been very single-visioned on this entire week of running seven consecutive days.  I have been wearing blinders to keep my focus on the task of making sure I don't skip out on a single day of running since this past Sunday.  I think when I started out I might have been giving myself what was supposed to be some self-inflicted punishment for slacking off the week before and possibly the week before that.  I think I was giving myself an ultimatum.  Do it this way, run every day to make up miles you failed to do earlier - or, or, what?  What was my 'or what'?  I got as far as this is what I am going to do but didn't figure out if I didn't do it...then what?  I didn't fill in that blank.  I didn't let myself know what the consequences might be if I didn't finish the plan.
Maybe that was the plan.  I wasn't going for an 'or what' outcome.  I wasn't giving myself the option to not do what I had set out for myself.  It wasn't a punishment, it was a way to accomplish what I wanted to get done.  It isn't like I didn't know what I was trying to do.
It is pretty clear in my mind.  I want to reach 100 miles this month after hitting 75 miles last month.  I want to up my running days each week.  I just plain and simply want to get out there.
And the 'or what' factor?  That was never an option.  It was never I can't run today because I have this to do, or that thing that happened prevented me from getting a run in.  I've had plenty of those.  I decided it simply.  If I got home late I'm still going out for a run, or if this had been planned I can move it to another day.  Wearing blinders and being single-visioned can sometimes work out to be beneficial.  It's helped me all this week to hit five consecutive running days with two left to go this week.
Why think I wasn't going to do it?  There was never any 'or what'.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT