Sunday, April 22, 2012

Book consumption

Books are something I don't know what I would do without.  I can't even imagine what would happen to me if I didn't have a book.  Don't make me think about that, it would be too hard and too crippling for me.  That is how bad it would be.
I finished a book recently that had been suggested to me and I read it.  That is normal procedure for me.  If someone suggests a book I will pick it up and give it a go.  I am the "Mikey" from the Life Cereal commercial of books.  Give it to Mikey...he'll eat it, Hey Mikey!  He likes it!  Give it to Tessa...she'll read it.  But you must know beforehand that sometimes she doesn't like it and then the person that suggested the book will hear about it (if they bring it up).  That was the case when a friend at work suggested I read a certain book.  I gave it a go and didn't like it.  It happens to be a trilogy and I told my friend that the first book ended just where it should have for me.  I didn't need to read the other two.  She looked at me with eyes aghast and jaw dropping down and could not believe I wasn't the least bit curious about what would happen in the next books.  Didn't I want to read the next one?  Didn't I want to see if it got better or where the story might go?  I had to tell again that, no, it ended perfectly with the first book ...because it had ended and it was over (for me)!  Hey, I gave it chance.  I read the entire book (hating it all the way) and then it was done and so was I.
What happened after finishing that book was that I didn't have another book picked out and ready to read.  I had no idea what I wanted to read next to cleanse my reading palate.  I was hoping for new suggestions and put out an absent minded request and I actually got two new books to read!  I started the first and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was told it is a series of thirteen and I was ready to start the next.  I was ready to pick up the next in the series but I had the other suggested book that I felt I needed to read before delving into the thirteen book series so I started that one.  Then what happened next was another friend offered me a book she had just finished reading.  We had talked about it a few weeks ago and said she would bring it to me.  Then another friend....yes, another book. I guess I was giving off I really, really, strong, I need a good book to read vibe because now (that I am ready to start this really good thirteen book series) I have all these other books that seem to be waiting for me.  I can't even complain about it because this is so much better than not knowing what book to pick up next.  And when I get through all these other books I will still have the thirteen book series that I know I will enjoy. 
Then there is that original friend that has finished the second book of the really bad trilogy.  She still wants me to read the second book even knowing that I absolutely hated the first. 
"I never said I hated it.  I told you all the reasons I didn't think it was any good."
"Oh, come on.  It was all over your face!"
Oh, well, it's hard for me to hide that.  But if she actually talks me into reading the second of the really awful book trilogy she will know it will be a hate read.  That would be reading the book only to be able to say how much I really hated it afterward with authority.
But what would I do without books?  I would starve.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT