Sunday, April 15, 2012

On track?

Today gave true meaning to the word 'work-out' (word?  hyphenated two words?).  It was tough!  I pushed too long and had to squeeze every last ounce of gumption to finish.  I had a sneakin' suspicion  that five miles was all I could take today so that is what I set my sensor for - five miles.  But I knew I needed 8 miles.  I needed 8 miles to have 50 for the month so I would be on track to have 100 by the end of the month.  I should have had the 8 yesterday since Saturday is the end of my week but I didn't make it yesterday.  I had to close out the week with only 17 miles instead of 25.  So today is the 15th - mid-month - so I had to get 8 miles to make 50 - mid-month - to be on track.  That is even though I am actually behind for last week with today catching that up but then that would mean I have no miles yet for this week.  It sort of makes sense (in my mind anyway) so let's leave it at that.
Sure enough, I hit five miles and was getting pooped.  If I had been on that tv show the Biggest Loser it would have been one of those scenes where the participant is red-faced and sweating while barely taking baby steps and threatening to stop while the equally red-faced trainer is screaming at the top of their lungs for them to keep it up while foaming spit escapes from their angry mouths.  I would be the loser in this scenario, you see, because I felt like I was taking baby steps.  But I kept going.  I had to push through it and it was truly a workout.  Not easy.  Of course, going that slowly gave me time to think and I know why the energy level was so low.  Aha!  Yes.  I use all these tools to monitor myself, don't I?  Who needs an angry trainer when I can prove to myself exactly whats going on.
I knew the past two days my calories were below 1200.  Yesterday was 1163 (including three lite beers) and the day before was only 882 (and I also ran that day).  According to my tool, along with my minimum 1200 calories a day I should hit at least 85% of 60 grams of protein a day and 150 grams of carbohydrates.  Yesterday I only hit 109 grams of carbs and the day before was only 24 grams of protein.  Pretty glaring missteps.  Two weak days of nutrition equals really hard workout?!  Kind of a no-brainer, don't you think?  I will need to adjust.  Obviously.
So it was a tough work-out today but I'm on track and know what to do to fix it.  I have the tools and the analysis and the crazy imagination about snarling trainers spewing spittle at me so I should be good.
I'm on track.  That's a great way to start the week.  On track.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT