Saturday, May 29, 2010

Stop arguing

I wrote some today where the main characters get into a bit of a verbal altercation.  I knew it was coming and knew I might need to tamper it down.  I don't think I want anyone disliking the main characters.  I especially don't want the main characters to dislike each other.  Now that I have gone back and re-read it I am not sure if I should have allowed them say a little more.  I might not have allowed them to go as far as they should and yet I am asking myself the question of is it too early for them to go as far as they might?  
This has to be the toughest part of writing something that is so much longer than I am used to and so much more involved.  I know I will hear (and it's already repeating in my head) just keep writing, just keep going. 
It is tough.  This is why it's work.  This is why I have to have discipline and keep doing it every single day.  This is when I say, okay.  I don't know why I am going to trust that voice that says to keep on writing, keep going from wherever I stopped but I wonder what other choice I have.
And then it gets a little more exciting, a little more challenging and I have to hash out how to move along to the next point I need to get to.
First drafts are for getting the story out, I hear.  Second and third drafts are when you figure out if the main characters should argue a little longer.
Me?  I could argue all day!
TT  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT