Monday, May 31, 2010

Building the stack

Jay showed me a one windowed cartoon this afternoon.
The picture showed a non-descript woman sitting on the visitors side of a desk in a small office.  She was an average woman, wearing a woman's suit with the skirt coming conservatively to her knees.  She was facing the man that worked behind this desk.  He had papers on either side and a stack of them directly between him and the woman in the center of the desk.  The caption below said, "We like every word you have in your manuscript.  We just need you to re-arrange all of them."
I wasn't sure I appreciated the cartoon at first.  I should have just laughed at the cleverness and left it at that.  Somehow, for no reason known to man, I thought about it. 
I thought about myself and how sure I am that there are quite a few words I need to re-arrange.  I know I am not even there yet.  I am able to say that these past few days have at least proven to be a true starting point for me to take on this book writing project.  I have managed quite a lot of time writing.  I find myself checking my word count.  I will write and stall, stay with it and eeak out a few more words.  I seem to be working better because I have a goal of what I need to get said in smaller portions instead of this huge overview of the entire story going through my mind.  I am managing to get myself to sit and just start writing.  The daily part of doing this is proving to be very important even if it's only a few words.  I am discovering that sometimes it takes me as long to write 400 words as it did the day before to write 900 and those 400 weren't even as important to progressing the story as the 900.  But then I realize I needed the 400 to get another 900.  I know, I am talking in riddles and Jay doesn't get any of it either when I try to explain.  That's fine.  I understand that he is aware this is something I am working at and want to do.  Then he brings me a cartoon hoping to make me laugh and stop taking it all too seriously.
The only problem with me (well, not the only problem) is that I thought about it too much and no matter if the woman has all those words she needs to re-arrange, I can't stop thinking that she has them all written and is already sitting in that man's office with them all in that stack in the center of the desk.  I have a way's to go to get my stack of words completed.  And that's okay too, since I actually have added more words to my stack even as recently as this morning.
Good for the average woman in the cartoon that had a completed stack.  I'm still building mine and when I get it all done - well, then, I guess I can start re-arranging all the words.  Oh, and another thought I had about the cartoon...if the time ever came for me to be sitting in that office...I am sure I will be wearing a more stylish suit. 
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT