Sunday, May 30, 2010

No running

It is Sunday morning about the time I would be out on my long run of the week.  I should be lacing up my running shoes and heading out the door. I wish I could.
It’s a perfect morning for it. It is just partly cloudy, about 70 degrees and all is quiet in the area. I have managed to work my distances on these Sunday long runs with a good two to two and a half hours of being outdoors. I’ve run just over thirteen miles two consecutive Sundays followed by ten last weekend. The measure for a half marathon is 13.1 miles and yes, I did that twice within three weeks. The ten miles I ran last weekend wasn’t a bad distance either but I knew the pain in the back of my right foot wasn’t correcting itself and I had to admit it was getting worse. It was going from an annoyance to a pain.
The rule of thumb in running is to keep going through the annoyance but stop for the pain.
I’ve had to stop. The two appointments I mentioned in recent posts that took me away from writing were to the podiatrist. It could be worse but it seems I have some small tears on my Achilles tendon at the back of my right foot. And the cure? Stopping. No running (or walking) outside or on treadmills for two weeks. Two weeks.
Do you know how hard it is for me to sit here on this beautiful Sunday morning and not gear up to run? It’s like missing a good friend. Hello, outdoors. The sun is starting to peek out from behind the clouds, people have cut their grass, birds are attempting to sing, and I get to enjoy jogging along without any regard or realizing I’ve been out there for over two hours.
But not today. Not for two weeks. I can’t even walk it.
It could be worse, I know. I just don’t see how at this particular moment.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT