Thursday, May 27, 2010

First day, new job

Today is one of my "extra" vacation days. It is the one (and tomorrow, too) that I wasn't originally going to take but when suggested I decided an entire week couldn't be bad for me. I hadn't thought to take the extra two days off because I had nothing planned and then, there I was, with extra days and not sure what to do with them. At first I didn't even have a clue what I would do with the time but then I had a thought.
Yikes - a thought - I know, pretty scary given some of my thoughts. This time it's just a little scary for me. My thought was...what if I spent the day - since I wasn't going to work at my normal employment - to go to work as a writer?
What better circumstances could I ask for? It would be a few days I had nothing planned where I wasn't expected anywhere and shouldn't have an abundance of other things to do. I would get up and spend time here in my workspace that I have made for myself upstairs and use it as I had intended. I would have huge blocks of time, total, solitary quiet and a story I have already started and need to keep progressing on. I could see where it could be that “perfect time” I wait for before getting anything done.
Of course, you and I both know the “perfect time” is just the excuse I use on myself for not doing something I say I want to do but for some reason can’t quite bring myself to actually do. That…I didn’t have enough time to really get started…I was in the middle of something that took more time than I thought…I would have done it if this hadn’t turned up…that - I didn’t have the “perfect time” excuse. I know there isn’t a “perfect time” but if anything could be close to it, today would be it. And my true intention is to take it and use it for writing. Look, I’ve already started this morning by this post.
I do have an appointment I need to keep in about an hour and I will go to do that, but then, writers must have appointments during their work day, right? I will just work it into my day as a writer. If I had an appointment during my regular job I would go and then come back to work. I will do it that same way but come back to my new job that I have taken on today right here.
I guess I will have to report back and let you know how today goes. If it turns out good than I will let you know and if not, well, then, maybe I won’t say anything. Isn’t that what mom used to tell me, “If you don’t have anything good to say – don’t say anything at all?”
Yikes – I’m hoping I’ll have lots to say!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT