Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Fresh cookies

I got an unexpected phone call yesterday afternoon for a cookie order. It seems every time I am about to pull the site and stop the business, I get an order. Every time this happens it takes my thoughts away from stopping the business and reminds me of how easy it is to keep going. Since I have no sales expectations, every time I get an order I am breaking my own records for sales. If you have a zero expectation and something comes in, it's a win, right?

It has to be the easiest business to keep in operation. I have a website that costs me close to nothing each month. If I get an order I bake cookies and get paid for them. I keep the money in a separate bank account and it sits there once I'm paid. The close to nothing cost of the website comes directly out of that account.

It helps that I did my homework when I first started. It didn't start out as homework but merely baking cookies. I wanted to come up with different combinations so I baked this into a cookie dough and that into cookie dough and took them to work for others to taste. I changed a few and baked a few differently but came up with some cookies that weren't bad. That was my initial expectation. I just wanted to stretch my creativity with baking some cookies.

My youngest son, Dante, thought I should sell them. We got together and did some research on how much cookies cost at other on-line cookie sites. We figured our cost for the ingredients and packaging, and knew where our pricing should be to make a profit. We took pictures and set it all up. He went to work and got orders that first time around. Then I got other orders and then big orders from companies wanting 60 and then 90 dozen cookies. I got small orders and medium orders. I let it all happen. Yesterdays order was for 4 dozen and I would need to look back to my sales for this past year since I know I got more than a few orders.

Don't think the business blew up and was this busy cookie machine. It never was. Orders are sporadic, but then I don't do a thing until I get an order and then I make a profit and the money goes into that account. If I would spent a smidgen more time on working on it I might actually make a lot more sales. I haven't. I don't even think about it until days like yesterday when I get an unexpected call for a cookie order. Then I think about working on it. Then time goes by and I start thinking I should close it down. I haven't. There really isn't any reason to close it. It practically works itself.

Fresh cookies are baked and that is what it has always been about.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT