Friday, November 7, 2014

Stay in character

There is nothing like the dreaded feeling of re-reading a post you published and finding that one grammatical error. You worked on it, edited it, polished it up (in the small amount of time you have from inception to delivery) and agreed it was ready. You even read it again after it was up and out in the blogosphere and you found it good.

Then comes the next morning. You arrive rested. You sit at your newly, refreshed desk and find your place. The most recent piece is pulled up in front of you and you start to read. It seems to be fine. It has created an atmosphere that is easily pulling me into the moment. I'm following along ready to continue what it has to say. Then you read the sentence that contains one word that trips it up and breaks the spell. Suddenly the reader is pulled completely out of the story and lands hard on the asphalt of technicalities. No, no! I cleaned this up. I removed all debris of reality and left a clear path to fiction. I worked hard.

It's no use. The spell is broken and now you are left with a story that could have been good if...  If only it hadn't had that one word that was incorrectly used and made the reader stumble hard out of the illusion you created. Damn, you technicalities, as I raise my fists to the grammar gods! Oh wait - that reminds me of a prologue I wrote so long ago using that bit. It was good, a real illusion for the mind and pulled the reader into the story. I should re-read that again and see where I might take it.

I will, of course, do a line-by-line check for the dreaded grammatical errors. It can only be as good as technicalities allow.
TT

PS - I fixed the error from yesterday's post. You won't find it now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT