Friday, November 21, 2014

Motivator or sweet tooth?

I made pumpkin empanadas this past Sunday. It wasn't my idea, in fact, when Jay suggested it, I exclaimed, "I tried years ago but couldn't find a recipe that had the bread-like dough and only had a pie crust outer shell." I still might have been slightly fearful of cooking squash again so soon.
"But that was years ago," he offered. "I bet you could find something now."

I went ahead and looked for a recipe. I found one that I thought might work but I needed a few ingredients. Since Jay was going to the store he said he would pick them up and I specifically pointed out to pick up the canned pumpkin as opposed to the pumpkin pie filling. (No cooking of squash would be needed).
When he got back from the store he told me he had lost his list about half way through the shopping expedition. He couldn't find pumpkin...in the can. He said he picked up a small baking pumpkin.

"Wait, what? You expect me to bake another squash after the disaster before? My hand is barely healing now and don't look at my shoulder."

"Calm down. I put the whole pumpkin in the basket but then I found the canned pumpkin. You won't have to relive the spaghetti squash debacle". 
(Jay didn't say debacle. Jay would never use the word debacle unless he was making fun of me using the word debacle).

Long story short...I made pumpkin empanadas that turned out rather nice.  Flavor was on point. I would have liked the crust to have the darker color I'm used to, but it didn't take  away from the finished product. Maybe I should add a little of the pumpkin filling into the bread dough?



The best part is I made some headway in my facing any fear of squash explosions. It was a small step in the right direction that  may lead to a total cure. I should be up and running at full speed ahead in no time.
And it will be just in time for the upcoming Food Holiday! I'm looking forward to it. I guess Jay knew I needed the extra push and motivation to get going again with a no fear attitude.  Nah.  I think he just wanted dessert.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT