Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Removing the sticky notes

The rain has been coming down all night. It's a soft, quiet rain that has steadily made it's way through the course of the evening and into this morning. I woke too early, but what was I going to do? I was awake no matter the time on the clock.

I got up and cleaned the kitchen. Of course, that was after I made coffee and was dressed. I balanced out the store's receipts from yesterday and have been fiddling around with an application on my laptop. I'm thinking I would rather work from home today but I didn't get that cleared from the bosses so that isn't going to happen.

Since I cleared all the bills on my desk, all I see are yellow sticky notes on the top surface. I guess they blended into invisibility when all I saw before were the bill notices. Now that those are gone, I see all the quickly, scribbled notes I made to myself and stuck to random places on my desk because at the time of writing them, they seemed important. They are all notes about writing.
  • Action/Reaction
  • Cause and effect
  • Ripple effect
  • Chain of events
  • Domino Theory
  • Story Arc
Narrators need to:
  • Create memory
  • Create horizons
  • Disclose all
Importance of first impression.
  • Illustrate the characters core at this moment
  • what would their portrait look like
  • what would she be doing, wearing, thinking about
  • why would this be what she chose?
  • Connect with the characters core and figure out what she would do
You can't say I haven't done my homework. These are just the sticky notes and not all the other information, articles, newsletters and lessons I've gone through. Trying to learn. And in my head I know I need to put the work into starting with that draft of completed work I wrote. So I have a sticky note for that on how to get going.

Read the book - Start to finish and take notes. Don't make changes yet.
Look for repeated words, starts of paragraphs that are the same, changed tenses. Stop at end of chapter-not middle.

Great...sorry I got carried away. Now that I have documented all my sticky notes here, I can remove them from my desk. I can clear it off so it's a nice wood surface again and focus, instead of being caught up in random thoughts.

It's still early and the rain is still trickling down. I'll use the time to clear my desk and pull up that draft. It sounds like I need to start reading it. Start to finish. Without making changes. Yet.

Go.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT