Sunday, November 23, 2014

Good for the rest of the day

"Yo quiero café."

It was a sleepy mumble I didn't expect to hear at my regular waking hour. It was my normal waking hour but at least four hours away from the mumbler's waking hour. He wasn't expected to utter any word, much less three, at that time of the morning. I know this from many years of experience. Let's just say as of today I have at least thirty-five years of experience.

"Did you just say you wanted coffee"? I asked.
"Yes," Jay replied.

I got up to make my usual pot of coffee. Jay was up behind me and went to get his Sunday paper. It was a normal Sunday except for the time. Then as he finished his mug of brew and sorted through multitudes of sections of newsprint, he claimed he was hunger. I'm scratching my head in disbelief. "Aren't you going back to bed?"
"I can't go back on an empty stomach. Let's go to iHop."

Who am I to argue? It was all of 6:15am when we pulled into iHop. There were no lines, no waiting, and breakfast served as ordered. We both agreed it was very good.

As we were getting ready to pay the bill, I mentioned that if I had suggested this yesterday I would have met some strong disapproval. Jay concurred. He would not have liked the idea but at the moment, the way things worked out, it was as if it was all perfectly planned. He was on my timetable for a change. He was up at my hour, and present during my time. I am usually accommodating to his time schedule but today it turned around. Did it have anything to do with the fact that today is our 35th wedding anniversary?

Whatever the reason, it's quiet in the house once again. Jay went off back to bed since it's still within the time he would be asleep on a day such as today. It turns out I had a great good morning that will stay with me the rest of the day. It might even happen again some time, although if I rely on my years of experience, it will probably take another 35 years.

And that's okay.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT