Friday, August 23, 2013

Jump right in

Maybe I should have given a little more thought before jumping in and posting a very old piece to both on-line writing sites.  Nah!  Well, maybe, but I've done it now and it's too late to recount.  Sometimes you just need to be spontaneous and take a chance.  Big talk from me this Friday morning!
I posted a piece that I posted here on this site back on March 4, 2010 called Which man. Ooohh---naughty me! If you remember that post, it got me the most attention for 'suspicion of checking-out a man in an airport' award.  I will stand by my statement that I was filling time waiting for a flight (sitting next to Jay, I might add) doing some people-watching and taking notes for a possible fictional character.
Boy, have I had fun with this piece again.  Am I smiling too much?!  Again!
So I posted the piece with total abandon with only the thought of - what the heck--let some people READ my darn writing.  And what the heck, yeah.
It's a very short piece with barely 500 words.  After spending a week in Mexico, I wrote it up from physical characteristic I had written on an index card and had shoved into my purse. That was then.  I found it again while I was going through documents the other day and decided I would clean it up.  I've been working on keeping active voice and correcting grammar so it was a good exercise for me.  Then I thought, what the heck, post it.
I did.
I've had a few people respond with their reactions and I might be under 'suspicion' again.  From what I can tell, mostly male readers "get it".  They are quick to let me know they were a little intimidated by the man I described (intimidated is my word but I got their gist). The really good part is they go on to comment on how clear the voice in the piece is and how they were able to picture what was going on. Women, on the other hand, where a little more rattled by the idea and had a lot of questions they wanted answered about the piece.  I only thanked them for their comments.  I'm not getting into a discussion.  This is a short, off the cuff, piece.  It's not a story where I would normally get my character back-stories in order.
The bottom line here is I have taken old pieces, edited them, posted them and received some good responses to the work.  If I can do that with some old stuff, then I know the newer items I work on can only be improving.  And I'm also allowed to have a little fun doing it, aren't I?
But you know what?  I'm going to have fun with it whether I'm allowed or not.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT