Saturday, December 8, 2012

Subject lines

What do you think about when you are bombarded with the advertising that appears in your email inbox?  Subject lines describing percentages off, hurry, only two days for this offer.  New releases, opening day, start now, hurry, hurry!  As if the person in front of the computer screen will actually jump up and run to the stores.  Hurry!  If it was only that easy to motivate people to move.  It doesn't seem so likely.
There are, of course, the humor that can be found in certain bits of information that gets circulated.  I found a recent e-mail from work that I found interesting.  It described a list of events coming up in the café.  The first was a Lunch and Learn session on Low-Fat options for the holidays.  Second was the offering of Krispy Kreme Donuts for breakfast a few days after.  I wasn't sure what their message was and I thought the proximity of Low-Fat and Krispy Kreme much too close to figure out.  I thought they should be reported to the Wellness Coaches at work only because I thought it funny.
The best so far, I have to say, was an email I received at home with the subject line The Angry Elephant/Ballet Classes.  It was offers for coupons from Amazon local.  My imagination took hold as I dreamed up the large grey animal standing upright on two legs.  It had a tutu on, of course, and a wooden staff that it pounded heavily on the dance studio floor much to the dismay of the pink clad ballerinas huddled together.  How fun that situation might be and where could that idea go?  As I opened the e-mail I found that wasn't the case.  It was actually two separate coupons.  One was for an eatery called The Angry Elephant which, as far as I could tell, did not serve elephant so I'm not sure why it's angry.  The other was for something as simple as Ballet classes - ten of them - because I guess that's all you need before you realize you can't learn much from a tutu clad elephant.
So, as you are going through you inbox and deleting those pesky ads, what goes through your mind?  Leave it to me to find something funny in mine.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT