Sunday, December 23, 2012

Menu options

Christmas is getting close and menu options are swirling through my mind.  The only thing I know for certain is that we are having Crown Roast of Pork.  How do I know that?  Easy answer...because I already ordered it through the butcher and I am scheduled to pick it up at 6:00am 12/24.  What I need to do now is figure out what I will make to go with it.  DON'T even mention what I will have to do if the butcher doesn't come through with my protein order!

Actually, I've been letting ideas brew since I placed the order and I have an outline.  I am thinking around the lines of fresh green beans, cauliflower, potatoes, applesauce, bread.  It's not going to be volumes of food like Thanksgiving but some well put-together components.

I'm looking for inspiration for fresh green beans.  Do I add the slivered almonds or find another way to dress them?  Do I use my own cheese sauce with the cauliflower or do I roast or au gratin them instead?  What about potatoes?  Do I go with sliced red, fingerlings, or do I need a smooth texture on the plate?  No question on the applesauce since that will need to be made fresh and possibly not broken down.  I am thinking peeled, sliced, sautéed in brown sugar until caramelized with a dash of cinnamon.  Leave it a little chunky.  I love the sweet with the pork.  And the bread has to be home-made so fresh yeast will be used and it will rise to a wonderful fluffiness.

The meal would need to start with appetizers and I am thinking classic boiled shrimp with horseradish sauce.  I would like to make some crab cakes and try to make some breaded artichoke hearts with aioli.  I am thinking I need something more but I am struggling to edit.  I want each item to taste fantastic and not get caught up in a rush to fix plenty. 

That leaves dessert.  I'm still thinking about it.  No decision has been made there yet and I know there are multitudes of cookies already prepared but this meal needs a good finish.  I will see what I can come up with.  I still have a day left.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT