Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Did you hear

I actually started going through some of my index cards to see what quickly jotted down notes of inspiration I had managed to capture.  I found a few that I made even more quick notes to myself.  One note I wrote was to get examples of what I was talking about for the idea.  I kept going through them discarding some and putting them to the bottom of the stack until I came to one that I had written some random sentences on. 
I realized after I read through the three on the page that they were actually statements or one line bits of conversation between me and Jay.  It must have been some Sunday morning a while back because I can imagine him reading the newspaper as we had the local oldies radio station on.
I can see him concentrating on the paper when he says, "Look, they are making febreze in bacon now."  His tone carried the correct portion of mild excitement that it took me a minute to look up from my coffee, stare a minute and realize there is no such thing.  "And why would we want to have febreze in bacon?" I asked dryly.  "Well, (of course the answer is...) everything is better with bacon."
The next line on my card was just not hearing and misunderstanding what I said on Jay's part.  It was a simple, "I'm sitting in your spot."  Maybe he was confused by being dislocated and nowhere to sit but he just stared at me.  I finally broke the silence since I knew something was amiss and asked him, "what?"  He finally admitted he thought I had said, "I'm gonna eat your sock, " but didn't think I really would and couldn't figure out why I would do that.  Boy, I know it takes him a long time to wake up in the mornings but really?  No, sorry, no sock eating this Sunday morning.
The third note on the index card was another example of word replacement and misunderstanding.  I cannot remember what year the radio countdown was replaying but since it was an oldies station is was very many years ago.  Since you might not remember the song itself I can tell you the word used in the original song was "torn".  Here we go, it really sounded like the poor female songstress said, "Corn between two lovers."  That's bad enough but she goes to the next line that says, "feeling like a fool."  Yes, I think so.  That would make you feel pretty foolish...as Casey Kasem announces the song is #7 falling four notches from last week.
I think the both of us need to get our hearing checked.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT