Sunday, July 6, 2014

Remember the cherries

I was reminded of a song my Dad loved as I was pitting an entire bag of fresh cherries last night. It isn't unusual for us to have all kinds of fresh fruit in the house and you will find cantaloupes, pineapples, peaches, bananas at any given time, although it was a first for the cherries. Jay bought an entire bag! Since I don't care to put anything in my mouth I have to spit out, I thought it best for me to eliminate the pits. It was also so I can stew them up and put into a pie crust.

But I couldn't help that song of Dad's going through my head. It's a pretty old song but the lyrics are kinda awesome...



Life is just a bowl of cherries; 
Don't make it serious
Life's too mysterious.
You work, you save, you worry so,
But you can't take your dough when you go, go, go.
So keep repeating it's the berries;
The strongest oak must fall.
The sweet things in life
To you where just loaned
So how can you lose
What you never owned?
Life is just a bowl of cherries
So live and laugh at it all.

Way back when we used to sing that song, I never took the lyrics very seriously but it turns out they are pretty accurate. What bold statements for such a simple ditty. Dad had some pretty good reasons, other than it was a popular tune, for liking this song. Who knew?

So it was going through my head last night as I pitted a big bag of cherries. So live and laugh at it all!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT