Friday, July 18, 2014

Spoiled legs

If I gave my legs a rest yesterday, then today I am just plainly spoiling them. No run again this morning. It was that early morning rational that figured out it best to skip another day. I mean, there were thunderstorms with my phone buzzing insistently about the flash flood warnings I just had to know about at 1:15am in the morning. I didn't give it a nevermind at that time. I thought I could go to the gym and make up a short 3 miler. Nothing doing. By the time the real get-myself-up time rolled around I decided to complete the vacation week mode for running even though I am actually going in to work today and worked yesterday, too. But my running got a short vacation.

I know what has put a pause in my training. It was a little too aggressive. I might need to take a more realistic look at my schedule and make some slight revisions. The fact is, I was zooming in on a race in late August I thought I might be able to get ready to run. This past week I realized the distance I am currently at and the distance I need to go aren't going to coincide by the established date. I thought I would motivate myself by saying it's an August run and I would do it for my Daddy-O. It's his birthday! Then I thought...no it isn't. The race is on 8/24. Dad's birthday was earlier in the month. The 8/24 birthday belongs to someone else entirely. So then I ping-ponged the idea of using that as motivation anyway but it didn't really matter.  I knew I was too far behind from getting to my distance destination by that date anyway. This wasn't a mental game but truly physical.

I will keep the option open. I will also take a look at my training spreadsheet and see what other plans recommend and make adjustments. I will have a run tomorrow and Sunday.  I mean, I haven't dropped out the race entirely, just maybe this one coming up sooner rather than later. No loss.  Adjustments are always needed at times. Spoiling yourself (or your legs) sometimes can be a good thing.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT