Thursday, July 3, 2014

Past is past

When I looked over to the right of this homepage I noticed this: Blog Archive - 2014 (99). It means I've rambled on this year with 99 posts. It isn't as much as other years when I was posting one every single day but it's still a substantial amount of rambling.

And that seems to be a constant with me. I didn't just notice that particular number (99), but I realized I have a tendency to keep all kinds of statistics, numbers, tickers, journals, notes, and some type of way to see how I've measured up.  And it isn't only here. Let's face it.  I have a device that has tracked and stored my runs ever since March of 2010. That's a ton of running information. My iPod has all kinds of music and can tell me which are the top songs I've listened to, even if I don't think I listened to certain songs that many times. I use free appls to food journal. Of course, I do - doesn't everyone? Isn't it important to know that three weeks ago I ate like a Clydesdale and I'm still maintaining the same weight for that same amount of time? How about checking myself on the last time I wrote on a certain story and calling myself out for how long it had been? It's all interesting information that I seemed to think was important as a weight and measure.

It isn't really. If I have figured out anything about all the stats, numbers and tickers, is the numbers are great but as soon as they are entered, they are old data. Too much data can sometimes hold me back. Oh, look - I did so much more back then, why aren't I hitting this harder, longer, faster, smarter. More recently, I've noticed something else. I'm on the same track as some of my best past stats. I'm going at it as hard, fast, and just as long and smart. So all my tickers, and trackers have come almost full circle and I haven't really been thinking and checking them all that much. I'm doing my 'things' without noticing precise measures.I guess it's great to have all that past information, but what really counts is what I'm doing today and plan on doing tomorrow.

So when I noticed the (99) on the right hand side of this page, it was a moment of Oh, look. But, that was it, without a thought of how much better, consistent, longer, and smarter it should all be. I had some pretty fine food that day I ate like a Clydesdale. Maybe I DID listen to that freaky song that many times. As I think about it now, it isn't 'measuring up' like it was before. All that old data is only that - old, and not what I can do today or plan to do tomorrow. Doesn't that matter more than everything else in the past? I can change it all, simply by doing something today.

Oh, look - (100).
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT