Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Penny: reviewed


Hello Tessa

An interesting and inspiring story from start to end. Ben's ability to understand his mother's concern about the penny is admirable. That somehow makes him a considerate and thoughtful man and an affectionate son as well.

The penny story-
Teri's friend has advised her well. There is charity in her thought when she suggested the tails up penny must be turned down for the next person. Very few think of the rest of humanity's good. Few realize what is bad for us is bad for others. In my daily life I see bags full of selfishness and indifference to others.
There is a great lesson in this story. Kindness to others is more important than concern for self.

The last line contains a question which provides food for thought. Many would leave the penny unflipped. But Teri is different. She couldn't leave it the way she found it. Ben's part is no less. He equals the situation by providing an intelligent alternative. It must have given his mother some relief.

The story is told in an engaging style with apt dialog and setting.
Made me go behind the obvious.
Thanks for sharing.
---------------------------------------------
I wasn't expecting a review this late in the game from the writing site I posted my A Penny piece.  It was totally unexpected to wake up this morning, and find this in my in-box within the site.  But, what a pleasant surprise!  I couldn't have asked for anything better, and the fact that it came with a 5 out of 5 rating topped it off.
I was (finally) right about revising, and reworking the piece in third person, instead of leaving it in the first person point of view.  It helped that I cleaned up all the passive voice, and grammar mistakes.  It was worth the time spent to watch for flow, and separate myself enough to cut the words that were excessive, and dragged the piece down. It was great to get the prior reviews that helped make me aware of some of the problems I could fix. 
The work paid off.  And the best part of the review is that it only talks about the story.  There isn't a single suggestion to tweak.  I managed to grab them up into the story.  
Talk about some excellent motivation!
TT 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT