Monday, March 4, 2013

MY sidewalk

Driving home the past couple of weeks I have noticed crews building sidewalks on the opposite side of where I run in my neighborhood.  They started on one end and I was happy to see that they were slowly progressing from one day to the next to complete the long stretch from end to end.  I was happy to see it going in.  I was happy but I sighed because it would have been nice if they had done it on the opposite side of the road where I turn off to run.  But I knew this was good.  I would only need to cross the street to get to the new sidewalk.  Well, I would need to cross twice.  If they had put it down on the other side I wouldn't have to cross at all but merely keep going when I made my turn.  That would have been really nice and that is why I sighed as I made my drive home.
Then at the end of last week I noticed they were on the last bit to complete the sidewalk.  I kept driving to my turn off to home and there I saw another crew.  They had traffic cones and digger machines blocking one lane at my corner.  They were putting down a sidewalk on MY side.  They were putting down MY Sidewalk!
Now, I can understand why you might think this isn't such a big deal.  It wasn't that long a piece that I had to run in the gravelly, uneven, hard piece of trail.  It shouldn't be anything to get so amped about.  But this is the one place I have always missed my footing and tasted that dirt underneath my feet.  I've fallen more times at this particular spot than any other in the history of the world.  This patch has been the cause of more embarrassment and bloody knees and palms than any other spot anywhere.  So to see the sidewalk coming in at this place is big, exciting news to me.  They are putting it in for me!  It's a sure sign for me to grab my running shoes and hit it - without falling.
Before.  Ouch!
They are building my sidewalk!
TT
How about that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT