Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Agitated Stillness

What would life be without a thought in your head? Empty-headed. Devoid of thought. Still.

I'm not sure if that sounds all that good. I read an article about finding your stillness. The theme of the article is when things start spinning in our heads we should pause, sit back, settle into what is happening and work with what we are thinking. The article said to concentrate on what was causing the thoughts, access how they are making us feel, calmly let them sit inside us. It suggested to face what we are thinking at that moment and find some gratitude and compassion and then give yourself permission to go back to your day to day.

Yikes. That is a whole lot of thinking. It sounds pretty counter-intuitive to think so much if what you are trying to do is settle down and clear your head. Why not just pause and stop. Why all the self analysis. Do I need to have a list of things I need to think about when I'm thinking so hard I can't stop thinking? How am I supposed to remember the steps and what am I to think about next when I already have too many things to think about.

I thought this pausing, calming, meditation type thing is supposed to be less imposing. It sounds like a lot of work to me and I don't think I can remember all the things I'm supposed to think about when I do it. That could cause even more anxiety over all the things I'm already thinking.

If I want to clear my head I think I will just take a break. I will distract myself with something else, take on a different chore, go for a run. Don't think so hard. That seems to be an easier mantra to remember when there is too much going on in my head.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT