Friday, June 13, 2014

Superstition

Today is Friday the 13th and it feels terrific! Mostly, it feels so great just because it is FRIDAY! It's the last day of my work week and believe me, I don't have a superstitious bone in my entire body.

I guess I could do my research.  I could find out why it is when the number thirteen falls on a Friday it causes so much hand-trembling, anxious producing, knots-in-the-stomach sort of day for some people. I actually had someone tell me that they were not superstitious but they wouldn't fly anywhere on that day.

How is that even logical? What could possibly cause someone from not wanting to head out on a flight out of town on a Friday just because it's the 13th? That means they have the entire weekend to get away! What did they expect to happen to that airplane that could possibly be caused by the number thirteen falling on a Friday? I don't think there is any mechanical reason, or anything programmed into the electronics. What kind of bizarre fear is this?

Okay - I couldn't resist a little quick research. Friday, mostly, is considered unlucky due to Christianity. A lot of bad stuff purportedly happened on Fridays. Adam was supposed to have bitten into that apple on a Friday, Jesus was crucified on a Friday. And then the number thirteen could also go back to Christianity since it seems is wasn't good to have thirteen people around the dinner table and Judas Iscariot was number thirteen. That and also there is the thing with suppressing Mother Goddess and, I guess, women in general with their calendar of 13 lunar (and the other female) cycles that occur annually. They didn't think that was a good thing and that might be why the 12 month solar calendar was scooped up and put into use. I'm not finding a lot of logic here but a progression of, well, superstition.

But, that's okay by me. I'll take that plane today if you give me the ticket. I mean, if something bad is bound to happen today, my attitude is I should rack up as much fun in my activities that I can! That way, I might not even notice when that one bad thing actually happens. If it ever does. Which I don't think it has any more chance today than any other day. So, isn't it great that it's Friday!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT