Sunday, June 8, 2014

I've got this

I'm having my coffee before heading out for my run this morning. I'm sort of anxious to get to it but I also want the time to sit for a moment. It's that quasi, sort-of hurry up and wait to calm down a moment while the restlessness of getting out there churns inside me. The weather is perfect, there isn't much activity yet in the neighborhood, and it's that time! It's that time when I can use the senses to appreciate exactly what is open and opening up as the day yawns and stretches to slowly wake up.  Or is that me doing the waking up?

I'm working toward running more consistently. I'm not setting the goals too high, but I have put some in place. A month's training plan is on a spreadsheet and I've managed a full week so far. I was spending a lot of time thinking about races I should enter. I came across a deal for 5 races, each a month apart, with increasing distances for $150 which would be cheaper than if you entered them separately. Then if you added an additional $50 to that, you could join their training group. It sounded pretty good and I even called to get more information. I could get with some other runners and do long runs on Sundays and training and timed runs on Tuesdays and Thursday. But, not that it matters too much, they weren't exactly close to where I live and there would be a bit of driving across town to join.

So I looked at another spot that was offering a training session for $145.00 (no races included) but was much closer to me. Sunday long runs, Tuesday and Thursday group runs at 6:00pm. Then, somehow, through all the searching, I realized it didn't matter about the group training or the money. Those things weren't going to get me out the door to become consistent. Only I can do that and what good is paying up and driving out if I find an excuse not to show up. It isn't as if I didn't manage to train for my half marathon years ago with any group. I did that all by myself with a couple of training schedules I combined into a spreadsheet of my own. Another spreadsheet that I managed very well and yet now I keep thinking I need to search down the experts?

I've got this. This is all me, and the money and group runs don't really make that much of a difference. I could be driving halfway across town to do the same thing I will be doing right now without all the extra time and effort. I get to finish my coffee, find my place in the calm Sunday morning, and prove to myself  I don't need to pay or organize an entire group to be an expert. I know how to do this on my own.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT