Saturday, March 8, 2014

Wishes

 If wishes were horses than beggars would ride.

The 16th century English nursery rhyme suggests it is useless to wish and better to take action. I have always had a particular liking to that saying since I was a small child. It might have been due to the idea that I imagined myself riding actual horses and not so much about the real meaning of the sentence. I wanted to get up on that horse and take off in a gallop. It would be my horse to saddle up and throw my leg over it's broad back and hold those reins firmly in my hand. I would have my horse there for me whenever I wanted to take him out for a run. I wish.

I never got a horse. I did steal away with a friend in high school and ride other people's horses without their permission. I got to pretend they might be mine for those few afternoons. So, maybe even back then, I was already more of an action person as opposed to a wishing person. Or at least a combination of both. I wish I had a horse, but I got my fix by riding someone else's.

Is wishing really useless?  I'm not so sure.  You have to have that starting point, don't you?  Otherwise, you might wander through the day to day without any real purpose or motivation. Once I realize what my wish could be, I can decide a way to take steps toward getting it. Whatever it is. But that's me, maybe, and not the one who is only wishing without the next step.

So why did that silly, old nursery rhyme come into my head? It might be time for me to slow down the actions and do a little wishing. Actions without any real purpose are just as useless as wishes without actions.

Today this beggar is going to do some wishing.  Only after doing that for a while, will I take up the reins and steal away a ride.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT