Saturday, March 29, 2014

B&N Book Refund

Barnes and Noble just gave me a credit to my account. It is in the amount of $65.55. I found out by e-mail a few days ago and the credit was posted last night. It's a anti-trust settlement for the overpricing of ebooks by certain publishers, and I'm involved because I bought ebooks, and Barnes and Noble is involved because they could easily track what I purchased during the dates of this lawsuit through my device with them. The wording clearing states "Barnes & Noble was not a party to the settlements but as a Nook customer, you can take advantage of the benefits agreed to by the settling publishers".

You can be sure I will take advantage of the credit! It's not as if I didn't notice the climb in cost of ebooks from the time I first purchased my electronic reader to shortly thereafter. They've made a climb in cost ever since I bought my (1st edition) reader and the retailers had to pitch a lot of books at reduced prices for a select amount of time to keep the buyers coming back. I would have come back anyway. I have no problem buying books or ebooks. When was the last time I was in an actual bookstore? It was always such a pleasurable part of a Saturday Hmm...maybe a trip to a real store might be in order.

I read through the entire settlement statement (or at least the interesting parts) and they figured the refund by the number of books I purchased and paid back at .73 each. They paid more if you bought bestsellers at a rate of 3.17. Minnesota got a slightly higher rate of 3.93 for bestsellers and .94 for regular ebooks because they didn't participate in the first suit but settled with the publishers through separate negotiations. (If I read that part of the settlement correctly). So anyway, I figured I bought 16 bestsellers or I bought 82 regular books, or I bought 8 bestsellers and 41 regular books or... I wasn't going to go back and try to figure the exact books I bought and try to remember if they were bestsellers at the time of purchase or not. I didn't want to do more math. The bottom line is I bought a bunch of books (read them all-yes) and then the mega attorneys had a class action suit and now I have more money to buy more books. It's something I would have done with or without the refund.

I'll use it just the same.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT