Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tiny bit of magic

Running in the rain last Sunday was what I needed to get the day started.  I had gotten up early as usual and was able to sit and take it easy while watching the rain come down.  It was about the time I needed to get up and do something else besides sit and drink coffee that there was a break in the rain and it stopped.  That was when I decided to head out for a run. 
I was going along fine when it started to sprinkle.  That happens all the time and I don't give it a second thought because it usually stops.  I kept going and so did the rain except it went from sprinkling to coming down hard.  It felt pretty good and I figured it would stop once I turned a corner because that is when it usually stops.  I kept running.  The rain kept coming down.  I was soaked  but I usually am and not with something as fresh as rain.  It felt pretty good and I got home and felt even better.
Monday morning rolled around and I was up early enough to head to the gym.  I got there, set up the treadmill and punched my iPod and got nothing.  I punched the iPod again and again.  No go.  Black screen, wouldn't come on.  Then I thought, drat!  I ran in the rain yesterday with this thing clipped to my shorts pocket and, well, it got wet, soaked, liquid damaged.  Electronics of these types do not like liquid damage and the people that make them won't replace or do anything about it if that's the case.  Drat!  I used my phone (yeah - I had stuck my phone in a ziplock bag in my other pocket when I ran in the rain-didn't think about the device clipped to my shorts pocket) with the sensor appl to run at the gym and then came home.  I got my magic bag of rice and stuck the iPod into it. 
I kept my iPod in the magic bag of rice for a day and it still wouldn't turn on.  I found my invoice and called Apple.  I thought if I needed to replace it I might as well get it over with.
The tech guy on the phone had me try a couple of things but it was no good.  He said to leave it for 24 hours.  Sometimes it needed to drain the battery before trying again.  So on Thursday, after days in the magic rice bag, it still wasn't coming on so I drove to the Apple store to see if I needed to replace my iPod.  This time the tech guy that helped me held my tiny device and shone a tiny flashlight at the tiny black screen.  Uh-oh, I thought.  That must be the magic liquid damage detector.  Any minute now he will look up and shake his head and tell me, "sorry lady, you got this wet."  I'll have to say, "I know" and hang my head.
He didn't say that.  He turned off his tiny flashlight and said, "Let me hook this up to the computer in the back and see what I can do."  I thought, Uh-oh, I bet the tiny computer in the back will detect the liquid damage.  I waited patiently.   I waited a little nervously.  He finally came back.  He said, "I can't get it to work but let me get the serial number and he punched that into his tiny handheld device.  He found my original invoice and said, "Oh, you are still under warranty.  Would you mind a switch?"
Mind?!  Please!  "I wouldn't mind," I said.
"Oh, great.  That's easy," he said.  He went to the back again and came out with an exact replica of my tiny iPod.  I signed his tiny handheld device (with my finger-weird but it worked) and he emailed me the paperwork.  I now have a fully functioning tiny iPod nano 6th generation again (16G) and it still tracks my Nike+ runs that I have been using for over 2 years.  I don't know if it really was the rain that knocked out my tiny device or not.  Maybe it was something else since the invoice that the tech guy emailed to me said, no liquid damage, twice!
Or maybe the magic rice bag sucked it all out.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT