Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cut

I started reading through my last post and realized I was starting to edit and correct things I had written.  It reminded me of the reason I started writing this blog.  It was to use it as a tool to stop me from continually editing as I was writing.  The rule here was once it was posted I couldn't go back and "fix" it.  I had to go on to the next one.  The editing was holding me up and not allowing me to write because I couldn't get past a few sentences without going back and correcting.
I've come a long way from that.  I needed to do that back then.  I would have never ventured past a few paragraphs if I had continued that way.  A few paragraphs, no matter how good and polished, doesn't make for very good reading.  It doesn't matter how good a few paragraphs are if it doesn't tell the story. 
I've started in on some planning to revision my now finished first draft.  I've managed to write the entire story through and didn't stop to edit.  That is hard to believe considering the few paragraphs I couldn't get past a long while back.  They were very nice, very polished paragraphs but a story they didn't make.  This little spot here for me has been a trememdous help.  And those wonderfully polished paragraphs at the beginning?  They didn't make the first round.  I've cut the entire portion and pulled it out of the story.  It isn't that they aren't very good paragraphs.  Just not for this book.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT