Saturday, April 26, 2014

Switching ignitions

I'm in the waiting room of the car dealership. I made the earliest appointment possible on a Saturday to get this ignition switch recall completed on my car. I could be out for a run. I should be out for a run but things need to be taken care of and since I needed to wait the weeks to get the part, I didn't think it would be wise to put off the completion any longer. It's supposed to be a two-hour wait so I came equipped with my laptop.

They serve an incredibly small cup of coffee, in a tiny styrofoam cup, each one poured out individually by a fancy machine that gives you twelve options. I had to search the buttons lined up on the machine to finally located the only button that could satisfy me. 'Regular Coffee' was the closest answer to my question. I watched attentively as it poured a small amount of hot water into the cup. Wrinkles in my forehead must have appeared as I watched it fill a third of the tiny cup with water but then the brown liquid followed, but I still wasn't sure. It was caramel colored and I was getting apprehensive it might be sweetened or have added milk. I stood still and waited, just a little longer, hold on, let the fancy machine do what it's supposed to do. Then it stopped with still a quarter of the cup empty. I thought it had a room for more. Ah well, I'll take it and I did.

I am planning to try a little writing. Surprise! I think it might be a year since I shoved everything away and left it to collect dust. Well, maybe not an entire year but a substantial amount of time. I needed to clear my head. After attacking an entire draft of a novel and starting re-writes, then writing three other shorter pieces, completing one novella, I was feeling isolated and stripped of all confidence. I decided the best thing to do was to learn more. I've scoured and researched more writing sites, articles, and information than any other person could in the same amount of time. I don't have actual statistics to back it up, but come on, if you know me I have a tendency toward obsessive at times? Nah...not really. Well, maybe. Refer above to the coffee paragraph and the mention of running at the very beginning of this post.

The only thing ever holding me back is myself. It's always the case. So, what if I take all that information and apply it without thinking about all the possibilities and outcome? Just work, because it is.

I have some time waiting in the car dealership. It's time to switch faulty ignitions and open up one of those dusty documents.  I don't think it would be wise to put off the completion any longer.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT