Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lesson Five

I am starting lesson five on my weekly writing lessons.  I found a online site at the beginning of December that would e-mail a lesson a week for seven weeks.  They didn't offer any more than the lesson and a place to post your completed attempts.  I guess the idea was to get feedback from other students that were also taking the course since there wasn't any instruction or feedback from the instructor.  Well, unless you wanted to pay the over $300 for that.  I took the economical approach and paid only $15.87 for the lessons only and have posted on their site.  I've gotten a few comments on my pieces but sure enough, it always seems as soon as I post anything the place turns into a ghost town and there isn't another student to comment in sight.
The main thing I've found about getting the assignment email each week is that I've really worked on whatever they have sent.  I've come up with some interesting shorts and have felt better about the finished assignments.  It's amazing what a little direction can do.  And the few comments I've received have been helpful although I am always wishing for more.  I always want to hash it out a little better.  Do I change this or that?  Did you mean to do it this way or what did you mean?  I'm so greedy.
I could hyper analyze each comment but I'm sticking to just completing my assignments.  Here are two examples of comments I received:
  • I love the theme and descriptive text. Wonderful. However, you need to take a break. There has to be a place for a couple of paragraph breaks.
  • Nice background on the character. This piece gives us the reader a sense of why the main character acts as she does and hints of the strain between her and her parents.
    This piece is believable and I would want to read more.
    One constructive feedback I would give is to be careful of the overuse of the word 'she' in writing.
     
I knew when I signed up I was not going to get feedback so I've approached it that way.  I've stuck to trying to complete each individual assignment the best I can and learn from what I can get out of each one instead.  That seems to be working.
TT
 -------------------------------------------
Link to where I've been posting assignments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT