Friday, January 25, 2013

Gloppy

I've been doing a lot or reading lately.  Mostly, I've been reading a lot of just filling the time type of books.  Nothing special, nothing really exciting.  They have been books by authors I know but old.  No - the authors aren't old, or maybe they are, but I meant the books I have been reading by them are old.  I have been reading some of the early books by authors I read now.
Two of these authors actually started out writing some kind of romance novels.  One in particular was massively published by Silhouette.  If you aren't familiar with Silhouette Publishing just look at those paperbacks with the passionately entangled couples on the covers that you see while waiting in the grocery check-out line.  They are usually short, inexpensive and well, gloppy.  Yes - gloppy is how I would review most of them, if not all.  Their only goal is to take two characters and get them together romantically.  All else in the story is totally immaterial.  Really.  And I was surprised when I read this one by an author that has come so far to find it was so poor.  Wow.  She has come a long way. 
The premise of this story was a young woman looking for the father she hadn't seen in 15 years.  She uses her last bit of money to fly from Paris to Hawaii to find him which she does.  But she doesn't spend any time with him while she is there.  She is shown around the island instead by his handsome, much younger, richer, business partner.  He is supposed to be very intelligent and much needed at work, yet he is taking all kinds of time off to show her this and that.  They get close, then they argue, then she leaves in a humpf back to Paris without saying goodbye to her father and doesn't write to him for two weeks after.  But the two get together in the end.  No, not the father and daughter...the two passionately entangled couple on the cover of the book.  That was all, it seems, that mattered.
 I don't know.  It probably doesn't help me much to read these.  I don't want to read bad books by good authors.  Gloppy.  Just plain gloppy.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT