Monday, November 18, 2013

Misfit

I've been spending a lot of time on this writing.com site.  I've been trying to figure out where I fit within this massive virtual writing community.  There are so many different activities, contests, newsletters, works of fiction, reviewing groups, blogging groups, poetry forums.  I could go on and on.
I have been trying to figure out the best way to get involved within this seemingly wonderful place.  I've been trying.  I've been reading the newsletters, I've tried a few posts, I've watched and read and tried to do things to find a place where I felt comfortable within this writer's confines.
It finally dawned on me and I've come to the realization that I don't fit.  Again.  I don't get it.  I can't figure it out.  I don't know what I'm supposed to do to fit into this virtual land.  Then I realized I don't fit into any virtual land.  And I'm not sure that is such a bad thing.
The only reason I went out to this site, and the other I bailed on, was to get someone else to read what I've written and hopefully get comments in return that would help guide me along a better writing path.  I had to get some type of gauge to judge what I was writing.  I've done that with the few things I've posted and I've average fairly well with a 4 stars out of 5 for my work.  That should give me my gauge.  I learned some very good things and gathered some good information.
The problem is I get caught up in all the other paraphernalia the site offers.  I need to stay focused on using that site as a place to help in reviewing my work, and discard all the extra offerings that I don't actually need. It wasn't my focus when I joined to use all my time searching the site.  I wasn't looking to fit into a virtual community.  I was looking for input on my writing.  I got that.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT