Thursday, November 28, 2013

No onions

The Thanksgiving day turkey is in the oven.  It's a big twenty-three pounds so it will take about seven hours to roast.  I made all my preparations but now is the time in-between when I can relax for a spell before any real cooking starts up again.
I worked yesterday until 1:00 and then headed to the store to pick up my fresh veggies for today.  I managed that in all of 45 minutes.  Once home I was able to bake my cornbread and two pies.  I was also able to pull my turkey out of the fridge, give it a rinse and pull the neck and giblets out to cook.  This is all normal procedure.  I've done it so many years consequently that it is pretty fail-proof.
This morning, I rose and started to put together my cornbread stuffing.  I broke up my cornbread with crumbled french rolls, sage, thyme, rosemary flat-leaf parsley, celery.  Onion.  Where's the onion?  We have no onion!
I stopped what I was doing and opened the darkened door to the bedroom and announced to a sleeping Jay, "We don't have any onions!"
"What?" he managed to grog out in his sleep.
"You used all the onions, we have no onions."
At this he pushed himself up in the dark and sat up.  "ME?  You're blaming me?"
I didn't waste any time on argument.  "We don't have any onions for the stuffing.  There will be No onions in the stuffing."  I think I was trying to absolve myself of any complaints about the stuffing more than trying to point a finger of blame.  I had been to the store the day before and didn't think to buy onions.  We always have onions!
So the turkey is in the oven with freshly made cornbread stuffing  with no onions.  I am taking a short break now before starting any other prep for the feast.  I was going to make the pesto for the crustini appetizers but I thought this break might be a better idea.  You see, I went to start making the pesto and found I didn't have any olive oil!  What?
And I was so confident that this was all so very fail-proof.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT