Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Truly amazing

"What an amazing experience!"

That's a direct quote from Carly, Dante's girlfriend. This entire long weekend could be summed up with that one sentence. We kidded about the major bullet points we could list of things that would be too unbelievable to have actually happened but they did. Maybe I can give a stab at a few.

  • The entire family made the trip 
  • Four of us ran the race
  • All four of us placed
  • All four of us placed first in each of our age categories
  • We all had a great time celebrating
I knew this race at my personal paradise was coming up. The first time I ran this race was my first 10K in 2009 and I came in third that year. It blew me away. I've let many years go by thinking about running it again but the weather and circumstances always got in my way. This year, about a month and a half ago, I decided I wanted to run this race again. I knew it would be tough for Jay to close the shop so I called Dante. "Do you want to go?" He and Carly were in. Then Jay wanted to go and made arrangements for someone to open the shop for him. Then Sonny, Selma, and the boys were able to go, too!

Dante had been secretly working out for the race. He had major knee surgery about two years ago to repair completely torn ACL, LCL, meniscus with a scar this long. He had signed up for the 5K and was putting in some miles and had his eye on trying for a prize. I went out there to just enjoy my 10K run and finish. I was also secretly rooting for Dante. Carly and Nancy were also running the 5K which rounded out our band of merry runners and made it all that much more fun.

Saturday morning came around and with much excitement we went out and all ran our races. After we all finished, Dante took me over to the score board postings. I was anxious to see how he did so we searched the categories and found his name at the top of his group! There he was, first in his age group and it made my day! But he wanted to point out mine and, wait, there I was at the top. No way! Both of us in first. It was too good to be true. 

How did Carly do? We looked at another area, back and forth, through all the posted pages. There! On top of the group, again. And then we had one more name to look for. Our index fingers poised in mid-air moving ever so slightly as our eyes searched for Selma. No way! Our fingers stopped right under her name. On top! All four of us winning first place?! 

The answer is yes. Somehow, someway, we all took 1st place medals home. We were our own cheering section as they gave out the awards. We blasted, "We are the Champions" from the car stereo as we made our way back to the hotel. We were giddy and happy and still taken aback that it really happened. But it did. I have proof.


Yes. Four first place medals! Truly amazing!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT