Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fall Cookies

It might have been that one cool day we had a few weeks ago that put the thought in my head. I'm not sure. It's hard to tell where inspiration might come from, but if I had to guess where I came up with the idea, it might have been that cool day. It was just enough of a reminder of fall, even though we are still pretty much surrounded by summer heat.

It was all about those fall spices. One cool day and I'm thinking about nutmeg and ground cloves. I was having fleeting ideas of spice cake. It sounded so good in my head but, of course, why settle for a regular old cake. How do you do it with a cookie? So the thought swam around for a while until different aspects started to come together.

I could use my regular drop cookie recipe but the extra work of cooling and rolling the dough would make it a more substantial cookie. I liked that idea. Then what spices did I want to use? I checked my cupboard. Cinnamon, allspice, ground ginger, nutmeg...sure why not? I put together all the ingredients, added the spices, and put it in the fridge for an hour. Rolled them out, cut out the shapes, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked.

It made the house smell like the holidays. It worked. Simple fall cookies that have all the warmth of those subtle, familiar flavors. It worked. I said that already.
Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT