Saturday, August 18, 2012

Best part

It's early Saturday morning.  It feels great.  Coffee is already brewed and the first few sips are perfect.  Hot, steaming...just right.  It's part of my usual routine and there is no better way to start the day or how does that commercial jingle go?  Best part of waking up... 
But then, at my age, I guess the best part of waking up is waking up but if I wake up on a Saturday morning like this one it can be better than just pretty good.
I have this fiction story I've been writing.  This past week I've been doing a lot of writing.  No.  I mean lots of writing if I were to compare it to any other time in the past two, even three years.  The kind of writing where I bring myself up to this room, park myself in front of my laptop, and think I will attempt to write for 30 minutes.  That would have been my usual routine if I could even get myself up here to write on my fiction at all in the past.  It's different now.  I come up here without having to get myself to do it.  I also go for much longer than whatever time I figure I'm going to write when I start.  In fact, I was a good 15 minutes or so late to work the other morning because I didn't realize what time it was and how it had gotten away from me.
These are all good things.  I've struggled so much with myself about this.  It shouldn't have been that way but it was my only way.  The plot hasn't gotten any better, the ideas are still the same but something clicked for me.  I can't or don't even want to think too hard about that now because I still have a ways to go to finish this first draft.  It might plug me up if I get to thinking too much again.  I'm not taking those risks and just heading forward with only one thought in my head - to keep going until I get to the end.  I'm close.  So I need to focus on getting to the end and no thoughts of all there is to do afterward.
Keep writing.  Keep those words coming and just lay the story out until it's told.
It seems like that should be such an easy concept to grasp but it can be very illusive when your mind wants to question every comma, thought, motion, and conversation you put down.  But not this Saturday and not all this week.
The best part of waking up isn't necessarily the coffee in your cup.  It's waking up knowing you'll have time to do something that has driven you for so long and it finally - it finally feels right.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT