Saturday, August 23, 2014

Taking mental inventory

Runner's Haven was heavenly this morning. I took myself up and out for an 8-miler at the place I'd rather go on an early Saturday morning for a run than any other. I arrived at 7:30 which was within my target time of between 7:00 and 7:30. I told myself I was ready, but as I looked up and out at the scenery I was a little apprehensive.  I have been nervous about getting to this 8 mile marker. The past two weekends I've only been able to push hard to get to seven. I had to move past that. I've been twiddling and twisting my anxiety into knots like I was wringing out a hand-towel, thinking I would not be able to reach it. It's been all mental and holding me back.

I started up and soon it's two miles and I'm moving along. Already past the first quarter of this 4 part run. Ease up and let it flow. I pass the Igloo coolers at mile 3 and keep running until I'm just past my fourth mile to complete the second quarter and I'm half way there. Turn around and head back. Stop at mile five for a quick water sip from the coolers as I hit them running back. Only three more miles to go. It should be an easy run around the block but my mind is telling me it's too far, the inclines are too hard. I can't trust that inner voice. It lies to me all the time. I make myself take a mental inventory. Thinking clearly, legs feeling okay, no twitch or twinges?  Yeah, still good, keep going. No stopping now since I'm into the fourth quarter and it's faster to keep running than walk to the car. Then ahead, the last cross street and I'm only .06 miles to finish eight miles. Circle around and done. Did it, you. It's all tied up and under the belt now. It's not the body but the mind that has to get used to being out there that period of time. Get used to it.

Since I was at the Haven, I went inside the sports store there and bought myself a new pair of running shoes. My tracker said I had 393.7 miles on those poor, dirty, old shoes. I realized the tread had worn thin the other morning when I went through a wet patch on the sidewalk and actually skidded a bit. That shouldn't happen and won't now. I've got my equipment back up to snuff.

I can't wait to try them out tomorrow.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT