Friday, February 13, 2015

Working without internet

It's hard to keep up with the daily routine when the city mows grass in the alley behind the house along with the cable lines. We had no idea that was the source of the problem during the two days we were without cable and internet at home. I'm not sure why they couldn't figure that out the first day I called and make us wait two, but all is fixed and things can get back to the normal we are accustomed.

Since I couldn't do my regular things on the internet, I actually read quite a bit (more) than usual. I also sat at my laptop and pulled up the draft of my novel. I don't need internet for a saved word document. For some reason, I opened chapter 15 which is the next to last chapter of the book. I didn't edit or even hardly remember it exactly, I only read it. That particular part wasn't so bad. I liked the way I had an action going on and the protagonist drifted off in thought that revealed an occurrence of the night before and then was interrupted back into the current moment. There were some rough words that needed to be smoothed out but that portion worked fairly well. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm not crazy enough to believe the draft doesn't need major rework. It certainly does. I could make a short (and long) list of all the things it's lacking and needs but...
If I were to really work it, it has the potential of being an actual story and not just a pile of words. The keyword here is work. It isn't about how talented, or how passionate, but simple, logical, hard work. I would need to take it piece by piece leading to the next and the next, making a complete beginning, middle and end. I don't think I would have given it a second glance if it hadn't been for the internet going down at this particular time.

Maybe, the loss of a little internet was what I needed to remember I don't always need the internet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT