Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Having a moment

You were only waiting for this moment to arrive...

I've been doing too much waiting lately. I wait to get things done when I get home. I wait until I pay off that bill or even the house. I wait until I save enough money to feel like I might be able to leave this job. Some might view those things as goals. It's that happiness carrot pulling you forward to reach it. There is a nice reward at the end of the waiting once you get there.

They are nice rewards. They do have their measure of happiness when they arrive (or you finally work your arse off for them). The problem is the tough time in the meanwhile before you get there. I can get tunnel vision when I have one of those carrots in front of me and lately, I seem to reach one of those 'goals' and then immediately feel the need to replace it with another. It's a constant, now that I have that, I need to do this, and now that I've worked for this, I need to get the other. I keep waiting and working for the moment to arrive.

The moment has arrived. I can have an entire bunch of carrots at once while still working toward a radish. If I keep my mind open, I might even gain a head of lettuce. Soon I'll have an entire salad.

Wait. Is this some subliminal message about my eating habits? I don't think that was my original thought when I heard the Beatles song this morning. It was Blackbirds (singing in the dead of night). I don't particularly want a salad right now since it's a little early, although some yogurt with Blackberries would be nice. You see, I can enjoy the moment even while I'm reaching for more.

...What was I talking about?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT