Monday, February 2, 2015

Can't cook from a package

I've never been much of a breakfast person. I wake up and drink coffee. Lots of it. Somewhere in the middle of the morning I will taper off the hot brew and have some oatmeal or a bowl of Kashi cereal (original - not that clusters stuff). Sundays are the exception because Jay is a breakfast person but since he gets up so much later than me, we end up having breakfast about mid-morning. It's a win-win situation as far as timing.

I was frying up some bacon this past Sunday and pulled out an envelope of pancake mix. The only thing I needed to do was add water. I've used it before but the heat might have been too high and they were, well, let's just say they were darker than you might want. Another time I tried and they were a little underdone in the center. Jay likes his pancakes, usually with eggs and all the rest. He mostly eats them as a dessert after breakfast. He will finish up a bacon, eggs, hash browns plate and then have a pancake as a sweet ending to the meal. But I was failing miserably with a the simplest of pancakes.

I mixed up the batter according to the directions. Right. I added water. The batter looked really thin. I warmed the pan - not too hot. I'm apprehensive going into this, but finally poured a circle of batter into the pan. I watched. It wasn't looking like it should. It didn't rise, it was painfully thin, it was paler than pale, and I knew it wasn't right. I tried to flip it and it crushed and crumbled on the spatula in an anemic state. Uh-Oh. I tried another and I repeated the process with the same result and then made the decision to throw it all out. No pancakes today. I failed.

There might never be another pancake again, at least in this house. I can't even cook them up from a package. The simplest of simple can't be accomplished. It was a major fail. I messed up the pancakes.

I served up breakfast without a happy pancake. We did without that sweet ending to the meal. It was sort of mortifying to sit there after such a situation. I tried to  figure out how I could have messed up but finally had to reason out that at least my eggs were cooked perfectly. They weren't from a package.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT