Monday, August 31, 2015

SLow5and!?%sTEad99Y

I needed to change my password for my computer access at work today. It has to be done every quarter or so but today was the final day. I've been getting warnings the past two or three times I logged in. Nice little pop-ups would say, "Why don't you change your password now, you only have two more days until..." That wasn't the exact wording. I guess I clicked past the reminder so quickly I don't remember how they were worded.

Of course, the passwords need to have that crazy combination of letter, numbers and characters to make it hard to break. I gave my last password some thought and wanted to follow the rules without making it impossible to remember. I did what the authorities suggested and found a phrase. It was way back at least three months ago and I while I was being realistic, I also wanting to motivate myself with my running.

The phrase was slow and steady. The password was a union of that phrase with capitals, numbers and symbols interspersed. I've been using it every time I log in and it was a constant reminder not to worry about pace but keep up the discipline. Pretty soon, my fingers didn't stumble over trying to type the complicated combination each day. Pretty soon, I wasn't thinking about how slow I might be running but getting out there and doing it. The password and motivation worked.

Today I had to change my password. Let's just say I couldn't help but use the second half of that phrase. Well, along with a multitude of symbols, capitals, and numbers thrown into the mix.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT