Saturday, August 13, 2016

Humming in the Kitchen

I think I am winding down my day. It started with a 6 miler. A good easy run with a nice little rain from about mile 2.5 until almost the 4 mile mark. But it was a nice easy rain and the drops felt like heavenly kisses on my shoulders. It was utterly the best way to start out the day.

After I got back from my run, it was a short trip to the grocery store. I wanted to get the essential items on my list and to also get back home to do some cooking. The deli roast beef was running over $12.00 a pound so I picked up a beef roast for $7.90. It was when I got home that things started to hum in the kitchen.

The roast was seasoned up and put into the oven. I started up my bread machine and let it loose. Then I pulled out my old fashioned, stainless steel, clamp to the table and crank by hand pasta machine. I whipped up some pasta dough and ran it through the machine. What a relief it is from rolling the dough out with a rolling pin. I went ahead and cooked up some ground beef and pork together. I threw in some spices, parsley, and stirred in some ricotta cheese and garlic for a filling.  Yeah...that dough is now beef ravioli.

The roast beef turned out perfectly and I sliced it up thin. It will be tasting mighty good on that rustic wheat bread which I already had all the ingredients to make. I weighed the beef after I sliced it and it was 2.3 lbs. meaning if I bought that amount at the deli it would have cost $27.60. So I figured I saved $19.70. The ravioli didn't cost much either if you figure I only used 1 1/4 of semolina flour and two eggs for the dough. The filling amount I made was approximately $3.77. I made about 32 ravioli's.

I even made jello and a from scratch white cake I baked in a loaf pan. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies with walnuts, too but those were already given away.

Good day to be in the kitchen. Some really good smells can perk up any rainy day. We need the rain, we love the food. What better way to spend the day.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT